Meet Joel Silverman
Joel Silverman is a Hollywood animal trainer with 36 years of experience and a long list of TV and film credits. For the past 17 years, he has been responsible for the coordination/training of the dogs and cats for the IAMS national commercials and print ads.
Joel started off picking up trash at Sea World at the age of 16, and over many years found himself working in every theme park in Southern California with the exception of Disneyland. This included achieving his dream of training killer whales. After working at Sea World, in 1983 Joel got hired by Ray Berwick (“The Birds”, Bandit/”Little House on the Prairie”, Boomer/”Here’s Boomer”) at Universal Studios in Hollywood, CA.
He hosted a very successful Animal Planet show “GOOD DOG U” which ran from 1999-2009, and within a few weeks of its first airing, became one of the highest rated shows on Animal Planet.
Joel uses what he calls a “hybrid” style of training to teach dogs. He uses much of what he learned as a marine mammal trainer, and much of what he as learned throughout his career as a Hollywood dog trainer. This style is based on two things:
- Building a great relationship with your dog PRIOR to dog training.
- Understanding that all dogs are different; what works for one may not work for another.
- As a motion picture and TV dog trainer, over the course of many years, Joel had no choice other than to teach dogs to understand control and distance. Joel teaches that control and distance are key.
|Sea World - 1983
||Knott's Berry Farm - 1986
- WHAT COLOR IS YOUR DOG? (2009)
- TAKE 2 – TRAINING SOLUTIONS FOR RESCUED DOGS (2010)
- BOND WITH YOUR HEART; TRAIN WITH YOUR BRAIN (2013)
- 1986 – Joel received the prestigious IMATA (International Marine Animal Trainers Association) “Behavior of the Year” Award for the Triple Bow; a behavior where two Atlantic bottle-nosed dolphins shot him 15 feet out of the water on their noses.
- 2009 – Joel received the 2008 Trainer of the Year Award, which was presented at the Westminster Dog Show in New York City.
For over 30 years Joel has worked behind the scenes training animals for movies, TV shows, and commercials. For the past 13 years, Joel has been closely involved, and has been responsible for coordinating and training of the cats and dogs in most of the IAMS national commercials and print ads. Here is a shot of Joel in action in the motion picture " A GOOD YEAR", Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe.
TV SHOW HOST
As a host of the popular television series Good Dog U on Animal Planet, from 1999-2009, Joel had the opportunity to showcase his unique ability to relate to and problem-solve behavior issues with a wide variety of dog breeds and owners. Joel's ability to communicate to pet owners in a friendly and gentle manner is what has propelled him to hosting GOOD DOG U,
In 2012, Joel came out with his new nationally syndicated TV series, DOG & CAT TRAINING WITH JOEL SILVERMAN. The show is airing in 80% of the country, and Season II began airing January 2014 under a new name of WHAT COLOR IS YOUR DOG? based on Joel’s first book.
Appearing on national programs such as Live, With Regis and Kathie Lee, CNN, MSNBC and FOX News, along with hundreds of local morning news programs, Joel has offered advice on pet care and training based on his lifetime commitment to the welfare of animals and their special place in our lives. His efforts on behalf of animal rescue and welfare organizations are well known and Joel’s personal and professional priority. In 2009 and 2010, during Joel's "What Color is Your Dog" book tour, Joel appeared on dozens of local morning shows and has given dozens of interviews. Go to our MEDIA PAGE to see many of the interviews and personal appearances.
Currently Joel resides in Reno, Nevada with his wife Michelle, and is closely associated with the Nevada Humane Society and the SPCA of Northern Nevada. If you watch his show, many of his training segments are filmed at both these facilities with untrained dogs.